You’ve probably seen somebody whizzing around your neighborhood on an electric scooter.
Electric scooters are exploding in popularity and the technology is getting better every day.
Unlike electric skateboards, electric scooters are very easy to use. And unlike electric bikes, electric scooters are compact enough to bring and park anywhere.
We love electric scooters at Choose Wheels because they are easy to ride, environmentally friendly, and fun.
They also cost a lot less than electric cars and deliver excellent performance. A new introduction to the automobile industry, these scooters can be perfect for your small travel needs. They are plug-in charge-and-go vehicles, and all you need is to know how to ride a two-wheeler. Just roll the throttle, and you are on the move.
Top Rated Electric Scooters
What Should You Look for When Choosing an Electric Scooter?
Comfort is always a priority, but you need to look at other factors including how easy it is to maintain and the safety features included.
If you’re trying to take these motorized scooters a little farther out than your neighborhood, you will also need to look at the distance per charge offered.
Last but not least, you’ll want to look at the top speed. If you are more concerned with safety, or the user is younger, we suggest looking for a scooter with a lower speed. If you are looking for thrills, make speed a priority.
Read more below in our reviews of the best electric scooters of 2018.
Which are the top electric scooters available on the market today? Here is a list of some that are successful and among consumer favorites, in different categories.
UberScoot 1000w – Fastest Electric Scooter on Our List
If you’re looking for an all-around leader, The UberScoot 1000w by Evo is your choice. The maximum speed of the UberScoot is about 25mph, which is just about as fast as you would ever want to go on an electric scooter.
The range is around 1o miles per charge. This is pretty short considering you can go 25 miles per hour. If you do the math, this means that the battery could run out of power in under 30 minutes.
The charge time is 4-6 hours, so running out of battery will definitely put a damper on your day.
The maximum load capacity is 260 pounds. We would guess that the range will suffer a lot if you reach those numbers.
Powered by a 1000 watt, 36V motor, this is suited for kids of 12 years and above.
- Disc brakes help ensure better safety
- Good speed for an electric scooter, compared to other competitors
- Low charge time and nice built quality
- Fast electric scooter
- Range could have been more
- A bit on the pricey side
Razor E125 Motorized Scooter
The Ravor E125 is a sleek, light chain driven scooter for kids with speeds up to 10 mph.
10 mph isn’t much, which is a good safety feature for younger children.
Compared to some of the competitors, the E125 has a relatively small battery capacity. The 2V rechargeable battery system takes around 12 hours to charge and can be riden for around 40 minutes before it needs to be put away for the day. This short lifespan is fine for young, easily distracted children. But don’t be expecting every kid in the neighborhood to be able to give this electric scooter a spin.
The body is light and sturdy and can carry a load of 120 pounds. It is easy to use and an ideal ride for kids aged above eight years of age. And if you want to ride it on your own, you can even use it like a normal scooter.
- Simple to assemble and use.
- Easy to ride and safe for children as speed is not too high.
- You can ride it like a normal scooter, even if you run out of charge.
- Need to push it to a speed of 3mph to trigger the electric motor.
- Batteries drain off too quickly and have a less life
- Not powerful enough to ride on slopes.
Super Turbo 1000watt Elite
The Super Turbo, also by Evo, is a high power, heavy-duty package with a sturdy build and a nice bulky gear system. This is a great choice if you anticipate some off-road usage.
Equipped with disc brakes, shockers, and a turbo/eco mode to switch, there are wide tires to give you a stable ride and better adhesion to the road (or to the gravel or grass)
Powered by a 1000 watt, 36V motor, the scooter can have a speed of up to 26 mph. It also supports a weight of up to 250 lbs.
There is a good range of about 18 miles per charge; you can simply ride to school or go over to your friend’s place on this.
However, you need to be at least twelve years of age to be eligible to ride this scooter.
- Powerful motor to provide speed and torque
- Good range
- Sturdy body and nice powertrain
- Poor battery life
Razor Pocket Mod Miniature Euro – Fancy Motorized Scooter
You’ll instantly notice the Razor Pocket Mod Mini does not look like a traditional electric scooter. The Razor Pocket Mod Mini scooter is inspired by the vintage look, similar to a moped or Vespa.
Designed for kids above 13 years and above and weighing less than 170 pounds, it can deliver a maximum speed of about 15 mph. It offers a range of 10 miles, and there are different vintage looks and colors to choose from. It also comes with a small storage compartment under the seat.
The Razor Pocket Mod is a great choice if your child is not quite ready for a traditional moped.
- Nice, elegant design and great colour combinations
- Light and easy to ride
- Impressive suspension arrangement for a smooth ride
- Little range of about 10 miles
- Low power and torque, slow acceleration
The Razor E200 has a sturdy twist grip throttle with a hand-operated rear brake and pneumatic tires. This ensures that you have an electric scooter that is just right for going around the neighborhood. The scooter can go up to 12 mph an hour and is the perfect buy for teenagers.
- Very easy to assemble
- Perfect for teenagers
- Pneumatic tires for easy use
- Full steel body that makes it sturdier
- Quiet motor that keeps things really quiet
- Lengthy recharge times
- Runtime of only around 40 minutes
Razor E300 – Our Most Popular Electric Kick Scooter
One of the most popular scooters of its category, the Razor E300 has an extremely quiet chain-driven motor and a high torque powertrain. The E300 is a great middle of the road scooter. It doesn’t have the best specs, but it is far from the worst.
The performance-driven motor can deliver a speed of 15 mph and a charge that lasts about 40 minutes on continuous use. The body is a cast of a good strong material, and it can stand a few bumps easily. Powered by a 24V lead acid battery, it is light yet strong.
- Big sized scooter to accommodate two adults easily
- Simple to assemble package
- Retractable rear stand
- Nice speed for its category
- High price tag
- Low torque, gives up on slopes
BlackSUP800 – Super Turbo 1000 Watt Elite
The BlackSUP800 is a heavy duty electric scooter, built of rugged conditions and slightly larger riders.
With a solid steel frame, dual disc brakes, dual rear shocks, and a powerful 1000 watt motor, the BlackSUP800 undoubtedly is the workhorse of the category.
Powered by a 36V, (upgradable 48V) it can carry a weight of 250 pounds and a top speed of 25 mph at 3000rpm.
In ideal conditions, it can travel a distance of 18 miles on a single charge.
- Easy to assemble, but you need some mechanical skills
- Very sturdy and capable of covering rough terrain
- Heavy to carry and lengthy charging time
- Expensive compared to others
- Needs safety measures before you ride
Razor E100 Electric Scooter
The Razor E100 is a light, yet powerful scooter for kids. It can speed up to 10 mph, offering a lot of fun for kids. It is safe for riding and the handlebars are equipped with a front brake system. The E100 is equipped with an 8-inch pneumatic tire in the front to help with shock absorption. It has a charge time of about 12 hours that lasts for 40 minutes in ideal riding conditions. Powered by a 24V battery system, it can carry a maximum weight of 120 pounds. It is an ideal gift for kids.
- Easy to ride and safe for children
- One can ride it like a normal scooter if you run out of charge.
- Elegant design and simple construction.
- Poor charge time to battery life ratio
- Not fast enough to ride on slopes.
The Razor E300S is a good choice in its segment. Claiming to have an ultra- quite chain system, the scooter delivers high torque powertrain. The motor is powerful enough to deliver a speed of 15 mph and a lasting charge for 40 minutes of continuous use. The body is made of high-quality material. Powered by a 24V lead acid battery, it is light yet strong. The electric scooter takes about 8 hours to be ready for use and can pull off about 200 pounds on a flat terrain.
- Easy to assemble
- Retractable rear stand
- Excellent speed for its category
- Removable riding seat
- Low torque, gives up on slopes
Pulse Performance Products GRT-11 – Cheap Electric Standup Scooter
Made out of a steel chassis and sturdy material, the GRT-11 looks like more traditional trick scooters.
Driven by an 80 watt, chain coupled drive, this 12V power system can boost up your speed to 8mph lasting a bit less than an hour in ideal conditions. This is a lower top speed compared to a couple of the models we’ve featured, but the battery life is better than many.
It can be seen as a product that defines transition, of kick scooters to electric scooters. It has the brake switch ion in the rear to cut power when engaged.
- Solid steel body
- Great scooter for its price point
- Stable and safe for kids
- Lacks suspension for smooth travel
Looking for a more affordable option? Come explore our list of the best cheap self-balancing scooters of 2018!
Why Should You Get an Electric Scooter?
With growing concerns about climate change, you can play your part to reduce carbon footprints by commuting with a more eco-friendly solution. Electric scooters / motorized scooters are your child’s best friend, without needing any gasoline. Here is why you would love owning one.
- They are easy to ride, and lightweight. This means that they are easy to maneuver, and you don’t feel tired when riding it. Similar options, like electric skateboards, can be very difficult to ride. Not electric scooters. Even if you have never been on a scooter, you will feel comfortable on an electric scooter in a matter of minutes.
- You can drive them when you want. You don’t need to learn about shifting gears or even take driving classes. Just hop on and go. They do not even have gears, and all you need to do is to press the start button.
- Electric scooters are economical. You’re saving in on fuel costs, and the only thing that you do need to pay is for electricity, which is much more affordable than gasoline. Don’t believe us? Check out our detailed look at how much it costs to charge an electric car.
- They are environment-friendly. There is no carbon emissions and no harmful fume discharge, ensuring no pollution. They also don’t create any noise-pollution since electric motors are virtually silent compared to their gas-guzzling counterparts.
- No need to go to the fuel station. Tired of going to the fuel station each time? You do not need to wait in queue for a fill-up; plug in the charger and charge from any household power plug. We are big fans of commuting on our electric scooters. It is very easy to find a plugin in nearly any office building or parking garage.
- Electric scooters are low maintenance. Since there are no fuel injectors, radiators, bulky and complicated engines, you don’t require a lot of maintenance. You don’t need oil changing or cleaning or cooling systems. Therefore, there is a huge saving regarding after sales expenses. In general, electric motors are way easier to maintain compared to gas-powered engines.
- Travel easily. Traveling costs can come down drastically. Power costs are very low as compared to fuel cost, and so the travel cost is reduced.
- Go miles without a worry. These scooters come with high-quality, lithium-ion batteries, so they are durable and trustworthy. The range on a quality electric scooter should be more than enough to get you to work and bag with no problems. Or you can spend a full afternoon just cruising around and having fun without having to worry about finding an outlet.
- They are safe to use. The safety gear is very effective. There are many circuit breakers, safety switchgear, power controllers, brake travel switches and other controller systems to make their use safe for all age groups. When you’re test driving an electric scooter, make sure the brakes work well. If they do, you should be safe.
- There is no age limitation. Unless your State laws are different, you can ride an e-bike or electric scooter without a worry. There are no age limitations, and you do not even need a driving license.
- No license requirements. Electric scooters have max speeds that are less than 20 mph and are safe to ride on roads. However, common laws like wearing helmets and safety measure is a necessity.
Pointers to Help you Choose
How do you get the electric scooter that you need? Here are some pointers that will help you.
- Choose the type of motorized scooter you need: Choose what you need it for. Decide if you need it for fun or to go to the office.
- Decide the range that you’re looking at: How much does the scooter go on a single charge with different loads?
- Weight capacity: Electric scooters have weight vehicles just like any other vehicle. If you are looking to buy it for a kid, you shouldn’t really worry about how much load the scooter can carry. But if you are looking for an electric scooter for adults, you might have to look at the weight capacity.
- Battery backup: Take care of the battery quality, type, and its charge capacity. It will also be affected by usage. Choose wisely.
- Price: Compare and check the price of the electric scooter with its competitors. Look for deals or any ongoing promotion offers before making your final choice.
- Why do you need it? Understand why you need the motorized scooter in the first place. Test if the vehicle you are looking for can fulfill your requirements. You can end up with different choices depending on whether you are looking to travel to your office or just take it out for a ride on weekends to the park.
If you’re looking for something that’s easy in your pocket, the electric scooter can be your right choice. These scooters are motor propelled two-wheelers, and you can ride one on the road easily. The gearless vehicles are battery powered, non-polluting and cost-efficient. And they are perfect for kids as well, with many of these electric scooters having a top speed of around 15 mph.
If you’re looking to save on carbon footprint or are looking for the perfect gift for your child, do not forget to take a look at one of these. Many of these scooters can work as normal scooters as well, and you can either use the electric mode or the normal mode. If you do not travel much, or your workplace is nearby, you can use one of these easily. Your kids could even use one of these to go to their school. With no fossil fuel burnt, you’d know that you’re doing your bit to keep the environment as fresh as ever. After reading our reviews you should now be able to pick the best electric scooter that can suit both your requirements and your pockets.